Clay Thickened Grease, How To Choose it?
Clay Thickened Grease, How To Choose it? Maybe you always ask yourself this question. Selecting a grease thickener is very very important to your grease application.
Firstly, we have to define what a grease thickener is. Here, we say the lubricant grease thickener is Bentonite organoclay. It is modified bentonite, as a grease additive.
Grease thickener types
Grease thickener types include organic bentonite clay and Inorganic bentonite clay in lubricant grease. organic bentonite clay is a solvent based organoclay which uses for solvent based grease, Inorganic bentonite clay is a water based organoclay bentonite that is used for water-based grease lubricant.
- It is mainly used in the water-borne system.
- Its gel is transparent and of light color
- Prevents pigment settling
- High thixotropy, Good anti-sag property
- High gelling effectiveness, CP-EW can form gel even at 2% in water
- Easy dispersing
|Fineness (<74μm, %)||≥98%|
|Composition||Inorganic modified montmorillonite clay|
|Viscosity, 3% in water, mPa.S||≥1500|
|Moisture content (105℃,2hr)||≤10%|
|Appearance||Fine powder, white|
Lubricant Grease thickener is “the solid particles, it is uniformly dispersed to form the structure of lubricating grease. Lubricant Grease thickener also could use for water-borne sealant, adhesive.
CP-720A is a kind of treated bentonite , purified and modified organoclay rheological additive, designed especially for use in Grease.
Composition Organic derivative of a montmorillonite clay Fineness (<74μm, %) ≥98% Bulk density 0.42g/cm3 Loss on ignition (1000℃) 34%-36% Appearance Fine powder, light yellow Moisture content (105℃,2hr) ≤3.5%
- High efficiency
- The gel is of light colour and high clarity
- Easy to use, no need to pregel
- Eliminate polar activator
- Consistent development of rheology
- Can be used to post correct
CP-720A is used in the following applications:
- Grease Lubricant(the base oil is synthetic oil such as middle-high viscosity petroleum, mineral oil, diester oil, polyester oil, vegetable oil etc.)
- Wood coating
The base oil of grease
When our Clay Thickened Grease use for synthetic oils, such as vegetable oil, polyester oil.The grease will has high gelling efficiency, fine thixotropy, and perfect anti-settling.
Mineral Oil, Our CP-250A could use for it with good thixotropy, and perfect anti-settling.
Diesel oil, Our he gel is colorless and of high clarity.
When it is used in Grease Lubricant, polar activator is needed. Polar activator is acetone/water(95/5). The dosage of activator is 20%-30% of the weight of CP-720A. And also high shear can promote the dispersing of CP-720A.
The procedure of Adding Clay Thickened Grease are as follows:
- If condition permits, heat the base oil to 60~70℃
- Add Clay Thickened Grease while stirring, addition level is 7%-10% of the total formulation. Stir 5~10minutes
- Add polar activator, addition level is 2%-3% of the total formulation. Then add other additives, stir 25~30m
- Use pump to help it pass colloid grinding and homogenizer.
- Deair, filtrate, pack.
Note: With High-speed dispersant of grinding machine, and properly prolong the dispersing time, better gelatin performance can be reached.
The Lubricating grease which uses organoclay as grease thickener will own a high dropping point, thus can be used under high temperature and presents good impermeability and water resistance.
So, why we always say that selection of a grease thickener is so important . A grease thickener can improve your grease’s quality and operating temperature, l and material stability. Thus, it is key you determine which grease thickener is best suited for use in your specific application.
Organically bentonite Clay Thickened Grease can produce high – temperature resistance. It affects good working stability and water resistance to the greases. And it gives improved metal adhesion and bleeds resistance. The basic oils grease will determine which types of bentonite organoclay should be selected.
Pls mail us if you have any question about Clay Thickened Grease.
Mail： [email protected]
Cell(Whatsapp) : +86-13185071071